History of Our Nation to 1877
Seventh grade Social Studies focuses on the history of our nation from the earliest colonial period at Jamestown through Reconstruction after the Civil War.
Students will understand and learn about the Legislative, Executive and Judicial Branches of Government and where their origins began and learn about Democracy and the Constitution.
Areas of Study Include:
- British Colonial Development- from the Pilgrims to the original 13 colonies are explored
- Governing the Colonies- from the early colonial assemblies to the role of the Kings is developed; ‘Taxation Without Representation’
- American Revolution
- Creating the Constitution- the Constitutional Convention, and the need for it are detailed
- Citizenship and Government- the role of citizens and government is explored
- The United States under the Constitution after 1789- a detailed look at the US constitution
- The Early Presidents- Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison and their presidencies
- Makings of the Civil War and the Civil War- the causes for war, the Civil War battles and life during the war are detailed
- Reconstruction of the US after Civil War
- Westward Expansion